The Food Brigade Inc., a New Jersey non-profit corporation, is committed to protecting the privacy of our donors and safeguarding the personal information and data our donors may share with us or that we may hold. We operate with a single goal: to ensure that no child or adult in New Jersey goes hungry. The Food Brigade uses the donations it receives to fund programs in furtherance of that goal.
This Policy applies to all information received by The Food Brigade, both online and offline, on any platform (which includes our website and mobile applications), as well as any electronic, written, or oral communications.
Information Collected and Maintained
The Food Brigade collects and maintains personal information that you, our donors, provide to us when you:
- Contact us by phone, mail, or email, in person, or via our website.
- Register for an event.
- Make a contribution, either on our website, at a special event, over the phone, or by mailing in a check.
- Navigate through our website.
From time to time, we may collect personal information from you in ways not described above, subject to your express approval.
Types of Information
The Food Brigade collects and maintains the following types of information about our donors:
- Personal information, including contact information, such as name, address, email, and telephone number.
- Giving information, including types and amounts of donations and credit card information. We utilize secure transaction methods when collecting credit card information over the internet. The Food Brigade does not disclose credit card account information provided by our donors, except for the proper processing of donations.
- Information on events attended and publications received.
- Any other information provided by the donor to us, such as public comments or posts on our website.
- Non-personal information that does not personally identify you, including information that is anonymized, aggregated, or publicly available when not combined with non-publicly available information about you.
- Information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including information automatically collected through technical methods such as:
- Web Beacons. Pages of our Website may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit The Food Brigade, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
All information about any financial and non-financial transactions between you and The Food Brigade is considered highly confidential and we employ appropriate security measures designed to protect it. While the information is kept confidential, it is shared with our board members, staff, volunteers, and professionals on a need-to-know basis and in compliance with all laws, regulations, court orders, or other governmental requests.
Use of Personal Information
The Food Brigade collects and maintains personal information to:
- Establish a relationship and communicate with you about The Food Brigade, including our programs, special events, and funding needs.
- Learn about our donors and what matters to you.
- Process donations and event registrations and issue tax receipts.
- Comply with all laws and regulations, including reporting requirements.
- Plan future fundraising activities and events.
- Analyze giving patterns.
- Solicit feedback from you by conducting surveys.
The Food Brigade uses industry standard safeguards to protect your personal information against the unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction of your personal information.
We will not sell, share, or trade our donors' names or personal information with any other entity, nor send mailings to our donors on behalf of other organizations.
To opt out, you may contact The Food Brigade as described in the "Contact Us" section below. To the extent that a third-party service provider is used to process any donations, the provider is bound by strict confidentiality rules, and your information will only be used to the extent necessary to process the donation.
The Food Brigade will from time to time communicate with you, including by telephone, text, email, and mail, concerning our charitable activities, events, and requests for future support. We will not call or email you or send mailings to you on behalf of other organizations without your express consent. To opt out of receiving these communications, you may contact us as described in the "Contact Us" section below or by clicking on the "unsubscribe" link in any email communications.
Records Retention and Destruction
The Food Brigade complies with all Internal Revenue Service, state, and local regulations and our internal policies governing the retention, management, and destruction of donor information collected and maintained by The Food Brigade.
Accessing and Correcting Your Personal Information
You can review and request changes to the personal information that The Food Brigade has collected about you by contacting us as described in the "Contact Us" section below. However, please be aware that we may not accommodate a change request that would impact record retention or other operational requirements like remembering email optout preferences, violate any law or legal requirement, or cause the information to be incorrect. Deleting your personal information may also require deleting your user account (if any).
Changes to the Policy
This Policy is current as of the date stated below. The Food Brigade reserves the right to amend this Policy from time to time. You are responsible for ensuring we have an up-to-date active and deliverable email address for you, and for periodically visiting our website and this Policy to check for any changes.
Children Under the Age of 13
The Food Brigade's website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to or on the website. The Food Brigade does not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on our website or provide any information about yourself to The Food Brigade, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If The Food Brigade learns it has collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, The Food Brigade will delete that information. If you believe The Food Brigade might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us as described in the "Contact Us" section below.
Donor Bill of Rights
The Food Brigade subscribes to the Donor Bill of Rights as created by the Association of Fundraising Professionals, Association for Healthcare Philanthropy, the Council for Advancement and Support of Education, and the Giving Institute.
To opt out of receiving communications from The Food Brigade, to review the personal information that we have collected about you, or to ask any other questions regarding this Policy, please contact us at the below address or email:
The Food Brigade Inc.
ATTN: Donor Relations
P.O. Box 214
Paramus, NJ 07653
- Adopted 2/28/23